Recipe 4: Pumpkin Pie Protein Smoothie
Don’t let pumpkin spice lattes have all the fun with our favorite cold-weather flavor. This recipe from Sally (sallysbakingaddiction.com) tastes like a slice of pie just went into your blender, and serves up 12 grams of protein to keep you full until lunch.
Simply put, this protein packed smoothie is like drinkable pumpkin pie!
Ingredients: (Serves 2 smoothies or 1 monster size smoothie)
- 1 frozen banana
- 1/2 cup (120g) vanilla Greek yogurt1
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice2
- 1/2 cup (120ml) skim milk3
- 2 Tablespoons (30ml) pure maple syrup
- 2/3 cup (150g) pumpkin puree (canned or fresh)
- 1 cup ice
- Make sure you have a strong, powerful blender.
- Add all of the ingredients to the blender in the order listed.
- Blend on high for at least 3 minutes or until smooth – this may take longer if your blender isn’t very strong.
- Scrape down the sides of the blender as needed.
- Add more milk to thin out if it is too thick.
- Add a couple more ice cubes for a thicker texture, if desired.
- Add more spices to taste, if desired.
- Feel free to use regular (non Greek) vanilla or plain yogurt instead – keeping in mind the protein count will be lower. I prefer vanilla Greek yogurt not only for its protein count, but for its incredibly thick texture and vanilla taste.
- Instead of pumpkin pie spice, try adding nutmeg, cloves, ginger, and/or more cinnamon to taste.
- Any milk is just fine here. However, be sure to adjust the protein count accordingly if protein count is a concern.
Recipe 5 coming up on Next Page…